A27 - Synaptic scaffolds regulating cholinergic Drosophila synapses
Project A27 investigates how postsynaptic scaffolds can confer static or dynamic properties to cholinergic synapses that need to relay information or plastically adapt during memory processes. We identified five scaffolding proteins, DREP2, CDEP, Dlg, SIF1 and Coracle, of which at least two are differentially distributed between static and dynamic synapses, while Dlg, but not CDEP, is needed for plasticity-mediated mechanisms. Using the genetic power of Drosophila combined with state-of-the art proteomics, superresolution microscopy, time-lapse in vivo imaging and behavioral assays, we will here test how individual scaffolding proteins regulate plastic or static cholinergic synapses.
- Ehmann, N., D. Owald, and R.J. Kittel. 2018. Drosophila active zones: From molecules to behaviour. Neurosci Res. 127: 14-24.
- Reddy-Alla, S., M.A. Böhme, E. Reynolds, C. Beis, A.T. Grasskamp M.M. Mampell, M. Maglione, M. Jusyte, U. Rey, H. Babikir, A.W. McCarthy, C. Quentin, T. Matkovic, D.D. Bergeron, Z. Mushtaq, F. Göttfert, D. Owald, T. Mielke, S.W. Hell, S.J. Sigrist, and A.M. Walter. 2017. Stable Positioning of Unc13 Restricts Synaptic Vesicle Fusion to Defined Release Sites to Promote Synchronous Neurotransmission. Neuron. 95: 1350-1364.
- Perisse, E.*, D. Owald*, O. Barnstedt, C.B. Talbot, W. Huetteroth, and S. Waddell. 2016. Aversive learning and appetitive motivation toggle feed-forward inhibition in the Drosophila mushroom body. Neuron. 90: 1086-99. *equal contribution
- Barnstedt, O., D. Owald**, J. Felsenberg, R. Brain, J.P. Moszynski, C.B. Talbot, P.N. Perrat, and S. Waddell**. 2016. Memory-relevant mushroom body output synapses are cholinergic. Neuron. 89:1237-47. **co-corresponding author
- Owald, D., J. Felsenberg, C.B. Talbot, G. Das, E. Perisse, W. Huetteroth, and S. Waddell. 2015. Activity of defined mushroom body output neurons underlies learned olfactory behavior in Drosophila. Neuron. 86: 417-27.
- Burke, C.J.*, W. Huetteroth*, D. Owald, E. Perisse, M.J. Krashe, G. Das, D. Gohl, M. Silies, S. Certel, and S. Waddell. 2012. Layered reward signaling through octopamine and dopamine in Drosophila. Nature. 492: 433-7. *equal contribution
- Owald, D.*, O. Khorramshahi*, V.K. Gupta*, D. Banovic, H. Depner, W. Fouquet, C. Wichmann, S. Mertel, S. Eime, E. Reynolds, M. Holt, H. Aberle, and S.J. Sigrist. 2012. Cooperation of Syd-1 with Neurexin synchronizes pre- with postsynaptic assembly. Nature Neuroscience. 15: 1219-26, *equal contribution
- Banovic, D.*, O. Khorramshahi*, D. Owald, C. Wichmann, T. Riedt, R. Tian, S.J. Sigrist, and H. Aberle. 2010. Drosophila Neuroligin 1 coordinates pre- and postsynaptic assembly. Neuron. 66: 724-38. *equal contribution
- Owald, D.*, W. Fouquet*, M. Schmidt, C. Wichmann, S. Mertel, H. Depner, F. Christiansen, C. Zube, C. Quentin, J. Korner, H. Urlaub, K. Mechtler, and S.J. Sigrist. 2010. A Syd-1 homologue regulates pre- and postsynaptic maturation in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 188: 565-79. *equal contribution
- Fouquet, W.*, D. Owald*, C. Wichmann, S. Mertel, H. Depner, M. Dyba, S. Hallermann, R.J. Kittel, S. Eimer, and S.J. Sigrist. 2009. Maturation of active zone assembly by Drosophila Bruchpilot. J Cell Biol. 186, 129-45. *equal contribution